Sunday, March 3, 2013

4.3 Social and Professional Networks



My personal interaction when using a computer and browsing the Internet is mostly on obtaining information for educational purpose, I like to browse and research on new technologies or free web tools and sites to use in my classroom. There are many tools and sites available that it is difficult not to review them. Many times I get distracted from doing what I have in mind for a particular Internet section, and it usually happens when I check my email. It is difficult to stay away from taking a glance in my mail. In general the Internet has help me to teach new computer lessons as well as free resources to share with my students, for example I found a site like Code Academy that offers free tutorial on programming, there are many sites like Code Academy and Khan Academy that are encourage me to search for other similar sites. I try to stay away from social web sites such as Facebook, I do use it momentarily and I try to stay away from it. The first screen shot of my social activity on facebook shows a picture of myself with three of my friend taken back in the 1981. I received about 20 comments within 2 day of my initial post, and I still receiving comments on it. The second screen shot is a post where I encourage my friends to view the video Did you Know and the audience response is almost zero. It seems to me that many facebook users want to socialize and the don’t care on educational sites. I can use this experience and teach my students the negativity of social sites and encourage them to use educational sites by sharing a resource tool such as delicious that will contain many educational sites, and resources to social learning such as Edmodo and Edublogs







1 comment: